With the Affordable Care Act, comes enrollment periods. The ACA requires Exchanges to have an annual open enrollment period and certain special enrollment periods. Individuals will only be able to enroll in a Qualified Health Plan during one of the permitted enrollment periods.
The annual enrollment period is from November 1, 2020 through December 15, 2020. Enrollment from November 1-December 15 will be for an effective date of January 1, 2021. This enrollment period is there so that you can review all your options for the next year. Plans change every year so we recommend you consult with your agent at VibrantUSA to make sure you are happy with your plan. The deadline to select a plan for the first of the month is the 15th of the previous month.
Special Enrollments Periods are available under certain circumstances. Each special enrollment period will be 60 days from the date of the triggering event. There are specific documents for each event that would need to be submitted to verify eligibility. Some circumstances that would qualify you to change/enroll in a plan outside of the annual open enrollment period are:
- Add dependent(s) including birth, adoption, placement for adoption or placement in foster care.
- Add dependents including marriage or loss of minimum Essential coverage (loss of employer coverage for example). This does not include voluntary termination of health benefits or loss of coverage due to non-payment of premiums.
- Address change: permanent move.
- Citizenship status change
- Incarceration status change
- Income change
- Individual has tribal nation status: American Indian or Alaskan Native may enroll in a QHP or change from one QHP to another one time per month.
- National or lawful presence changed
- Removed dependent
- Eligibility for Washington Apple Health